Friday, April 9, 2010

Platelet Donations Wanted

These last few days have been very difficult and challenging for Nonnie. She continues to have fevers every day, which significantly affect her counts. Papa told me that she goes through the "fire drill" every third fever. The abdominal pain she was having is gone, but the doctors are still trying to find the source of the GI bleeding. They cannot do an endoscopy because of her platelet counts. In the meantime, they are giving her a medication that is designed to assist in the clot formation.

Nonnie has received upwards of 14 units of platelets and the same number of blood transfusions. Typically, she does not get that many combined over the 3 week process! What the means, is that she is "refracting" the platelets and blood transfusions. In simple terms, her body is rejecting the donated transfusions. The doctors went back to check the prior donor compatibility, and the platelets I donated in January were effective.

I am going in on Monday morning to give more platelets for Nonnie. If anyone is healthy and willing, they could always use more donors. It is a very easy process that only takes about 2 hours. If you would like to donate, please call the UCLA Blood and Platelet Center at (310) 825-0888. Ask for Brian and he can get you scheduled to do a "direct donation" for Nonnie.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was closer though my wore out old blood might not be very good. Keep up the fight! We think of you every day. Dave Byrum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Linda,

    I have called and left a message for Brian and asked him to call me back so I can donate Monday. Please take care and know that everyone loves you and will do what they can to help!
    Love, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to call on Monday to see if I qualify. My sincerest prayers go up for Linda and this latest struggle. A miracle would be real nice right about now. Love, Kathi xo

    ReplyDelete