Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What Is Pain?

The battle continues, but Nonnie is still being a warrior! Each day is still mainly focused on her counts, but there has been some great progress this past week. Her biggest physical problem is the mucusitis, which causes severe mucus build-up in the mouth. In turn, this causes her to cough which causes pain in her sore ridden throat.

We are relieved that the bleeding has resolved itself and the doctors have changed the platelet protocol. The magic number when Nonnie will receive platelets is 20,000 instead of 50,000. This will be very helpful because when she gets platelets, she also takes Benadryl. When she was getting platelets up to 3 times a day, she was sleeping most of the day. Who would want to get out of bed and go for a walk if you are sleepy all the time?

Since the change over the weekend, Papa has gotten her out of bed and they started a walking routine. Nonnie had to start walking back and forth in her room since she had not walked in over a month. Yesterday, they graduated to the halls on her floor and put down a few laps! When I spoke with Papa this morning, he told me Nonnie's legs were sore from the workout. I reminded him of an old saying......"Pain is weakness leaving the body". They both liked that, and promised another walk today.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff - you don't know me, but you might know my sister in law, Kimberly Krause. She's the one that told me Linda needs platelets. I donated 4/27 & 5/20 & am eligible to donate again this Thursday if need be. Just have the UCLA Blood Center call me if they need me. There's also a dad on my son's soccer team who did a direct donate for Linda (Yeung Chan) & he's happy to help as well. Blessings~ Diane Krause

    ReplyDelete